Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Time Fruit Tarts & The Definition Of Mornings

Me and my husband differ greatly in our ideas of when "morning" starts. He is under the impression that ,on the weekends, mornings are optional and if one so chooses they can be skip all together. I, on the other hand, am of the impression that as soon as that sun comes up, so must I. There has been many mornings on the weekends when I am wide awake at 7am while the husband is snoring away.


The only good thing with our arrangement is that when I get up I bake to occupy my time. He usually wakes up to the smell of something baking on the weekends and he slowly slithers from under the covers to the enticing smell from the kitchen.

A few weeks ago I decided since it was a lovely warm day I would try my first attempt at a fruit tart.

As reached for my favorite baking book "The Joy of Vegan Baking" and found a recipe that I thought I could tackle.


After about 1 1/2 hours, and a whole lot of mess, I finally finished!

I started by making a quick shortbread crust then making a banana custard filling followed by a layer or strawberries. It didn't take too much time and most of that time was chopping strawberries or whisking the custard. ( I was slightly obsessed with the sizes of sliced strawberries..LOL)

I have mentioned this book before and I highly suggest it for those who want to make some tasty desserts. It has a lot of baking tips in it which is helpful for someone ,like myself, who has only been baking for a year.

Needless to say, that husband of mine made his way into the kitchen and was in weekend heaven when he saw this waiting for us.

Perhaps mornings are not so bad after all.....


No comments:

Post a Comment